Absorb Plus Protein
- Uses the highest quality, most bioavailable source of whey protein on the market (we use cross-flow membrane, cold-extracted, whey protein isolate).
- Contains absolutely no casein and it is also lactose-free.
- Contains 27 grams of whey protein isolate per serving.
- Full explanation below…
- Use much cheaper (and less nutritious/bioavailable) protein sources like egg albumin, casein, whey concentrate, etc. When they do contain whey protein, it is often heat-extracted, which is a much cheaper extraction method, but it also denatures the protein.
- Particularly be wary of those that contain casein – as it is the milk protein that most people are allergic to.
- Many commercial products contain only 10 grams per serving of a nutritionally inferior protein – so you have to drink a LOT more shakes to get your required calories for the day.
Absorb Plus Protein
The protein used in Absorb Plus is of the highest quality, composed of cold-extracted whey protein isolate only (no casein or egg albumin) and 99.8% of the lactose has been removed. Protein is vitally important for a myriad of functions within the body. Aside from water, protein makes up the greatest portion of our body weight. Muscles, ligaments, tendons, organs, glands, nails, hair, enzymes, hormones and genes are all composed of protein.
The protein component of Absorb Plus is a top quality whey protein isolate derived from a cold cross-flow membrane extraction method. This means the protein is not denatured (by heat or chemicals) but the di-sulphide bonds remain intact and the protein can be easily absorbed and utilized by the body. Other components of whey protein isolate provide the following beneficial actions in the body:
- Helps build and repair body tissues and build antibodies.*
- A source of essential and non-essential amino acids involved in muscle protein synthesis.*
- A source of all essential amino acids (i.e. histidine, isoleucine, leucine, lysine, methionine, phenylalanine, threonine, tryptophan, valine) for the maintenance of good health.*
- A source of branched chain amino acids for the maintenance of good health.*
With a Biological Value (BV) of 159, the BV of the protein contained in Absorb Plus is one of the highest available. By comparison, an egg, long considered by scientists to be an ideal source of easily digested protein, has a BV of 100. In addition, because the whey protein is isolated from the rest of the milk components, it is lactose-free, casein-free and easily tolerated. When people have a ‘dairy allergy’ they are often allergic to either lactose or the milk protein casein – both have been removed.
The amount of protein per serving contained in Absorb Plus (27 grams) was selected because research on bodybuilders has shown the maximum amount of protein that can be absorbed at any one time is 30-50 grams – the rest is flushed out in urine. Since Absorb Plus consumers are unlikely to be bodybuilders, we set the protein content (including amino acids) a few grams lower to ensure maximum utilization.
The protein component in some other formulas consists solely of free-form amino acids so as to avoid any potential allergic reactions. However, amino acids on their own are virtually useless for building muscle – i.e. putting meat on your bones. The only way amino acids can be used to maintain or gain weight is by ‘piggybacking’ on a di-peptide or tri-peptide bond protein (like whey protein). Absorb Plus’ whey protein also has a far superior BV to soy (74) or rice protein (59) – and frankly, as most people agree, it tastes a lot better. However, as mentioned above, the whey protein in Absorb Plus has also had the commonly allergenic milk protein and lactose components removed and so may be safe for people with a ‘milk allergy’.
**Please test a small amount first to be sure and if your allergy is severe, then don’t consume, or only do so under the supervision of your physician.
*These statements have been provided by Health Canada as part of the official NPN approval for Absorb Plus